Friday, January 7, 2011

Crafting Food: Garlic Hummus

garlic hummus

I am hunkered down with a few pairs of custom embroidered shoes for the next few days so I thought I would share a tasty recipe with you in the meantime. This is my own recipe for garlic hummus, a middle eastern dip made with chickpeas.

You can cut the recipe in half if you're just making enough to go with a normal meal. I use two cans of chickpeas here as I usually make it for parties. Serve with torn up bits of pita bread, pita chips, or even crostini!

Warning: I am kind of a garlic freak so the taste really comes through here. Try just 3-4 if you prefer less and try a few extra shakes of the cayenne pepper if you like lots of heat as the 5-6 shakes listed here will just give it a bit of a kick. Chickpeas are a great source of protein and can carry other flavors and spices very well so don't be afraid to customize it to your own tastes!

INGREDIENTS:
2 15oz. cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4-6 cloves garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + some for drizzling
fresh squeezed juice of 1 lemon
3 TBLS tahini (sesame seed paste you can get at the store)
5-6 shakes cayenne pepper
1 tsp. parika + some for garnish
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. kosher salt


DIRECTIONS:
Combine ingredients in a food processor, adding liquid a bit at a time as you go, until creamy. Sprinkle with paprika and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. garnish with a sprig of parsley. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Meeling said...

Yum!
I love hummus...this one sounds especially yummy and garlicky!!
Gonna have to give it a try...I love it with pita chips...great snack!

DK said...

Mmmmm that looks good. I love hummus!

considerthelillies said...

that looks so gorgeously yummy! I will have to try this recipe as I love hummus!

Angela said...

Love hummus - but have never made my own. I will have to try this recipe because it is such an expensive thing to buy at the grocery - at least it is here-- because it is a "specialty food"

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

Oh, I love to make hummus -- YUM!! Hope you are doing well and had a great holiday!

:) maureen