Saturday, October 15, 2011

Back in the Studio

FFAII Patchworked Pillow
I decided to make a simple pillow of scraps to go with the FFAII quilt and now just need to attach the back. I like how it turned out with additional bits from Anna Maria Horner collections and some scrap sari silk.

I've got my work cut out for me this weekend. Well, literally in some cases. In the first time in a long time, I have one whole day to work on personal projects (goodgravyhoorayfinally!) so I am revisiting the Far Far Away II quilt for my niece that has had to take a backseat to so many other projects this year. It's embarrassing really as it has been sitting in a corner of my studio all this time, silently taunting me from it's perch and reminding me I could be working on it if I would just stop stretching myself so thin. Well, no more! At last it is all ready to be quilted minus some last minute embroidery I decided to add on the back. More on that part later, for now, let's just revel in the first sight of fabric to grace this here blog in way too long:

Zoë, my little helperIs it possible to lay out a quilt sandwich without having furry little helpers coming to judge your handiwork? Zoë approves *I think* but is a brutal task master.

As I work today, I am already thinking of the other projects that await me on the horizon: A couple items for friend's that have had babies recently/soon and some pillows for our own living room (A project I get to keep?! someone see if there are pigs flying outside your window, quick!). I've made some progress on a few pillows for us but my thoughts on the final look have changed a bit since then in terms of color and we need more than originally planned due to a new (rather massive) couch.

So many plans, so little time! I should get back to my sewing now because tomorrow I'm off to visit another museum for a paper that needs to be several pages longer than I care to think about at the moment. Sigh...it seems I must learn to embrace moderation and not just admire it from afar. Do you have a laundry list of grandiose things you'd like to make? Maybe we can each pledge to finish just one of them by the end of the month! I know I'm just the kind of person who's going to keep biting off more than I can chew so I'm all about making lists and enforcing manageable timelines on myself that include downtime. What kinds of things do you do to keep yourself productive but sane?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I just love how you're combining so many different fabric types in this - that dobby dot fits in so well! Also, your cat looks eerily similar to mine. When I scrolled down I totally thought that Odin must have made a midnight trek to your house, lol.

Angela said...

YAY!! So glad you found the time to work on the quilt again! Finding "spare" time is such a chore sometimes!

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

Wow, this quilt is going to be so gorgeous! I am excited!!! My cat is the same way, it's cute but also really annoying to me lately! :)

Meeling said...

Beautiful...loving all the different fabric combos. I think it's that time of year again, when suddenly we all feel SO busy! I know my list feels about a mile long!!