Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Finger Food Smorgasbord

Smorgasbord
Easy Smorgasbord: herbed olives, summer sausage, feta, proscuitto, baguette, and cold mint tea

We didn't have any travel plans this past holiday weekend, so instead I decided to overdo myself around the house and we embarked on a major cleaning/baking assault including making a batch of stock out of leftover vegetable bits I've been freezing for the soups that I feel are right around the corner, my first bagels ever, and some peanut butter fudge that turned out looking horrible but tasting brilliant (and I am not really a fudge girl...I know, weird). In between all that I managed to get groceries, read a big hunk of my readings for class (out of a couple hundred+ pages assigned from the first class...), get a section of the chuppah completed, and finish two custom pillow orders for the shop. Yowza, I just want to collapse now and nurse the cold that I seem to have picked up along the way. I haven't had a weekend of such massive productivity in a while so I feel good but rather exhausted and feeling the need for some balance between my tendencies for procrastination and overachieving (hehe). I guess we may be using that stock sooner rather than later!

Smorgasbord, detail
The best in finger foods

In the midst of it all, we sat down for a rather blissful lunch together. I had picked up a few odds and ends to make use of the last of the olives we'd splurged on at whole foods a while back and it was the perfect antidote of simplicity (but lots of tastiness) to all the cooking I was doing. There was even enough to make two lunches out of it for the weekend, so all in all, not too shabby!

2 comments:

Meeling said...

Yum! Funny thing was we did the same thing for dinner here the other night. The only difference was we had Brie in the house. Sometimes those light and easy meals are the best.

We had enough leftover for lunch the next day too!! Always a good thing. :-)

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

YUM!!! Oh great, now I'm hungry! ;)