Wednesday, November 10, 2010
well our internet signal went missing for a bit but i am finally back with a new project to share! this is something i completed over the summer but after finishing it i hit something of a roadblock because i realized it wasn't something i could sell in my shop. on the other hand, it should make a great little christmas present for someone on my list.
remember these little drawings? well i based each little kitchen item in the towel after my own sketches and turned them into embroidery transfers using a sulky transfer pen. it worked great and i even completed another one of just vegetables but ended up giving it away as a gift to a dear friend before i got to photograph it. i'm happy with how the drawings worked out but i've got two problems: first off, the elongated design is incredibly difficult to show off in photos and if there's one thing i've learned about etsy, it's that a good photo will go a long way to helping an item sell faster; secondly, each little vignette really adds up timewise and so when i calculate a retail cost for it, there's just no way anyone would put that kind of money into buying a tea towel.
i think i will be focusing instead on finding one vignette per towel and enlarging it which makes it much more shop friendly. trial and error, trial and error!