Wednesday, September 29, 2010
i'm a little bit thrilled with how this clothespin bag came out...and how well the pictures that i took of it this morning turned out too. thank goodness for sunlight at last! now to package it up and send it off to my sister for her birthday!
i you click on any of the images, it will show you a much larger version. i've been able to show a lot of detail in the different kinds of stitches so just go ahead and click your little heart out.
on the canoe, i made use of a new stitch i've just learned: the backstitch. it's fairly easy to nail and it is a pretty one but the amount of floss that ends up on the back side of it just made my economically thrifty heart skip a beat!
here i've mostly used a split stitch and then a straight stitch for the grass. i had a fun time using different thicknesses of floss to try and give the vignettes some depth of field. i guess this is what you get when a trained photographer/painter takes up embroidery...o dear.
um, i just want to say that i kind of LOVE the way the stem stitch works perfectly for flames.
and last but not least, a detail of the fish on the back where i used the split stitch, stem stitch, chain stitch, backstitch, and a couple french knots.
it was nice to try a few different designs than i'd done for the last one i made and i was excited to be able to use the metallic silver floss for some of the fishing rod details. that stuff comes out beautiful but i'll admit that trying to thread a needle with it ended up in a slurry of language not appropriate for this little ole blog!