Friday, September 24, 2010

marathon quilting

the first completed quilt block

i know that i have too many irons in the fire at the moment but i've added in one more project because, well, i just can't help myself. my niece's birthday is in late october and her mom told me that the last quilt i made her is suffering a bit of wear and tear since the soon to be two year old insists on taking it with her everywhere. this warms my heart through and through and of course i will bend over backwards for that girl any day so, yeah, i am working on another quilt that i hope to get done by the end of october. so i am definitely crazy. and yes, i am using the machine on this one the whole way!! we'll see, this might end up as a christmas present...

when my sister-in-law said they could really use it sized up a bit for her new big girl bed and told me about the colors of her room, i knew that heather ross' far far away II line of fabrics in the plum colorway would be absolutely perfect! i have to admit, i am really happy to have an excuse to get some of this gorgeous fabric!

you can see in the photo above the first completed quilt block that i've done. i could only afford one fat quarter set of the plum colorway so i spent HOURS doing math (which i detest) and drawing out different quilt block patterns that would take my fabric as far as it would go and feature the different fabric designs in the best way. i think i've finally got it now so as soon as i get a row of the quilt top done, with sashing, i will be sure to show it off here! wish me luck, i am so going to need it.

6 comments:

Christina said...

oh my goodness, that fabric is incredibly cute!! It inspires me to make some items for this coming Christmas for some of my friends' little girls.

considerthelillies said...

beautiful fabric! I can only imagine the finished project and how one little girl will be extremely exited to receive it!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! The plum colorway is definitely my favorite.

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

I've had my eye on this fabric for a while, I just need a project. I love how you are just diving into the quilting --- it's inspiring! One of these days I'm going to have to get back to work on mine.

:)maureen

Dylan said...

OH MY! To have you as an aunt....LUCKY girl! That is going to be another gorgeous project. I'm jealous. Just got a bunch of really pretty scraps from etsy and I'm too nervous to start quilting them together! What if I mess up!? Aaaah! I need your eye, your things come together so nicely!

thestoryofkat said...

it IS lovely fabric, so whimsical and fun!

p.s. dylan, the seam ripper is perhaps one of the most used tools in my arsenal ;) i dive in and then rip my work right on out to fix all the mistakes i make when i get too excited, haha.