Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Adventures in Vegetarian Cooking

Besides my sewing, knitting, and embroidery, I really do love to garden and cook with fresh beautiful foods. One of the things I've been trying to do a lot more of since this past year is making a few vegetarian meals each week. It's a healthy alternative and it certainly makes preparing dinner a bit easier!

Last night we made frittatas with chopped bell pepper, red onion, and basil. Alongside we had broiled asparagus and vegetarian sausage...a first for me! and you know what? it wasn't all that bad! In fact, it smelled just like the real thing but with just a slightly mealy texture inside...kind of like falafel. I'd definitely eat it again but with a few more spices added of my own perhaps.

The asparagus is so simple and delicious. If you haven't tried it, it's an easy side dish to prepare and here is how:

Wash asparagus and trim ends to desired length. Arrange on cookie sheet side by side.

Drizzle with good olive oil—not too much, app. 1 tsp. I would say
Sprinkle on course sea salt or kosher salt as well as freshly ground black pepper.

Broil on high for 8–10 minutes. Flip the asparagus at the midway point for even cooking (if you don't flip, it's not the end of the world!).

Serve and ENJOY!

No comments: